900g butter cold, cut in 1 inch cubes
350g ice water strained of ice
- Place flour, butter, and salt in a large bowl, and toss until even.
- Add the water all at once and use your hands to toss until the flour has evenly absorbed the water.
- Press the dough into a solid mass with your hands. Form into an 8 by 12 inch rectangle, wrap in plastic, and chill for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, perform 2 book turns on the dough. Wrap and chill for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Perform 2 more book turns, then let the dough rest for 4 hours, or overnight.
- Cut the block of dough in 4 pieces and keep in the refrigerator, and working with one piece of dough at a time roll the dough out to the size of a half sheet pan, 12 by 16. Store the sheets of dough in the freezer between sheets of parchment.
To bake the puff pastry
- cut the puff pastry in 1 ¼ inch pieces, discarding edges. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350, high fan for 5 minutes. Rotate the pan, and bake at 300, low fan for 5 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from teh oven, and dust the puff pastry with an even coating of powdered sugar. Return to a 400 degree high fan oven for 1 turn 1 minute.
- Cool on the back speed rack then store in an airtight cambro for service.