Candied Blood Orange yield 2 pints
4 blood oranges
1000g blood orange puree
10g malic acid
- Slice the blood oranges on the meat slicer at number 15. Discard seeds and ends. Set aside.
- Place blood orange puree, sucrose, and malic acid in a medium pot. Place over medium high heat, stirring to dissolve sucrose, until the solution comes to a boil.
- When the liquid boils, add blood orange slices, and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 hours at a very low simmer, pressing orange slices under the surface of the simmering syrup periodically.
- After 2 hours, the syrup should be thick and the rinds around the oranges should be translucent. Let cool at room temperature for 2 hours before transferring from the pot.
- Transfer the slices to pint containers, cover with syrup and store at room temperature.