Mr. Darcy, the sourdough starter
700g Mr. Darcy
700g flour ap
700g water cold from the tap
- After 6 in the evening, Pour 700g of Mr. Darcy into a large bowl, and either discard the remainder, or use for crumpets. Scrape Mr. Darcy’s container with a rubber spatula, but don’t wash it out. What can I say, Mr. Darcy prefers it au natural.
- Add the flour and water to the bowl with Mr. Darcy, and whisk to combine. Transfer back to Mr. Darcy’s container, and cover. Let stand 12 hours before using again.
500g Mr. Darcy
100g flour AP
10g baking soda
- Preheat the griddle to 375 degrees, place crumpet rings on and allow them to preheat with the griddle.
- Place Mr. Darcy in a metal bowl. Add the flour, buttermilk, salt, and baking soda, and whisk unitl evenly combined. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, whisk the crumpet batter well, and transfer to a piping bag.
- Add a small amount of butter to the center of each crumpet ring, about 5 grams. Pipe in 35g of batter to each ring. This will take some practice to eyeball. The bottom of the ring should be filled with 1 cm of batter, and the batch should make 20 crumpets. There is plenty of extra Mr. Darcy each day to practice with!