- Place sucrose, isomalt, rum, and salt in a medium small pot. Place over medium high heat, and cook to a deep dark amber.
- When a deep dark amber is reached, immediately pour the caramel onto a sheet pan lined with magic paper.
- Transfer the sheet pan to the speed rack, and allow to cool and set completely.
- When the caramel has completely set and is cool, break it into 2 to 3 inch shards, and transfer the shards to the bowl of a robot coupe. Pulse the caramel until broken up the size of demerara sugar. Sift the caramel, seperating the powder from the larger pieces.
- To make the beads, line a sheet pan with magic paper, and sprinkle the larger grains of caramel over it, leaving a little space between the grains so the beads don’t run together. Bake at 325 for 1 minute, until the beads melt. Transfer to teh speed rack to cool, then gather the beads and store in a deli with a silica packet at room temperature.