5g star anise
5g fennel seed
10g anise seed
5g gellan low acyl
500g black raspberry puree
- Place water, star anise, fennel seed, and anise seed in a pot. Place the pot over medium high heat and bring to a boil. When the water comes to a boil, remove from heat and allow the spices to steep for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, strain the spice water, discarding the spices.
- In the mean time, place sucrose and gellan in a small deli and stir until combined. Set aside. Place the black raspberry puree in a small pot, and bring to a simmer. When the puree simmers, remove from heat and keep warm.
- When the spice water is prepared, place spiced water in a clean pot, and add the gellan. Immediately use a hand blender to incorporate the gellan into the spice water. Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking. When the water comes to a full rolling boil, add the black raspberry puree and whisk until even. Continue cooking until the solution comes back to a boil.
- Transfer to 2 quart delis and store in the low boy until they gel, about 4 hours.
- When the gel has set transfer it to the cup of a blender and puree until smooth. Pass through a chinoise and store in delis in the low boy.